Report a problem to the HSE

Reporting a workplace health and safety problem

If you see something in a workplace that you think is breaking health and safety law and is likely to cause serious harm, you can report it. 

Report a problem to the Health & Safety Executive

The quickest way to report a problem is to use their online form and when you submit it you will get an acknowledgement . If you can't use the form, you can phone them on 0300 003 1647 and they will fill in the form with you. Their lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.30am to 5pm (on Wednesdays they are open from 10am to 5pm).

Before you get in touch

It may be possible to put some health and safety problems right without contacting the HSE.

You could speak to:

  • the person in charge of the work
  • your employer
  • your union or employee representative

You may also find it useful to check what your employer should be doing to keep their workplace safe and healthy. You can do this by using the Health and Safety Executive website by topic or industry.

The HSE doesn’t cover all health and safety matters

Before getting in touch, you should check they're the right people to contact as there are a number of organisations that deal with health and safety.

Page information courtesy of the Health & Safety Executive